Pages

Monday 21 March 2011

Still Life - Natural Objects

For the composition of natural objects I chose a selection of fruit, vegetables and eggs. My first sketch included leeks, celery, eggs, lemons an orange and a potato. I tried to position the objects in a way which would be interesting, so I placed the celery on top of the leeks and then the round shaped objects on the end. I did like the composition of this image, however felt that the celery made it feel too busy and complicated. 
My second sketch I kept all the other items in the same place but practised more with empathising tone and form. I still felt like the image didn’t feel coherent and felt the round objects looked more separated from the leeks. I didn’t want to remove the leeks as I felt they helped achieve a good level of consonance. I decided to try another composition and also use colour and on a larger scale in landscape rather than portrait. 
I did a very quick and rough sketch of the new composition before doing a final drawing, just to make sure it would like ok on paper. I also did a few practise sketches and colour experimentation on a spare piece of paper, just to help me understand which would be the best colours to use. 
I am very pleased with the final drawing and feel I used colour correctly to represent tone and form. I have noticed however I didn’t manager to achieve the full shape of the eggs and potato, they seem a bit flat or squashed. I still managed to end up with the orange going off the page but I kind of like that because it helps to lead the eye across the page. I think the shadows could do with being darkened, I did try to recreate the shadow that feel from the lemon on to the leek and did achieve this, however it is a bit lost without a dark shadow underneath to give it substance. Overall I think it is a good composition with the colour adding consonance to the image.



No comments:

Post a Comment