Pages

Sunday 30 January 2011

Research - Inspirational Artist - Wassily Kandinsky 17/01/2011


I am looking at artists which I admire and provide me with inspiration to develop myself throughout this course. Generally, I am always attracted to colour which is where my first choice comes from.

The artist I admire most is: Wassily Kandinsky.

Kandinsky is definitely one of my top favourites. His paintings are beautiful, bold, confident, colourful and chaotic! I am not keen on his earlier pieces, however I love his work post 1920’s.

Below are a few of my favourite pieces of his work:


'Several Circles' 1926
I love this piece. It is colourful and bold yet still maintains a silent simplicity to it. It is beautiful and I feel it is one of his more peaceful creations, like he was an inspired by a moment of reflection and inner calm. The softness of the form of the circles along with the vibrant colours give the image an aura of quiet confidence.

 'Black Grig' 1922
This piece is gloriously colourful with plenty to keep the eye busy. A brilliant balance of soft and sharp shapes  keep the image interesting without it being too hectic. I really like the angle he has placed the boats on, using the triangle shaped smoke clouds to lead across  the page towards the dark grey cloud in the right hand corner. I like to think the collection of shapes across the centre of the image are a representation of all the colourful, chaotic and exiting experiences the ships have gathered on their journeys.

 'Orange Violet' 1935
This is such an interesting piece. I love Kandinsky’s use of shapes to create almost animal like images. For example the green and grey shapes in the left hand corner remind me of the kind of fictional characters found in the Loch Ness and addition the entwined swirls on the black square remind me of a chinese dragon. I do get a very tribal feel from this image through the use of the stripes used throughout the image along with the animal like forms.


All information and images taken from www.wassilykandinsky.net

No comments:

Post a Comment