Pages

Sunday 13 February 2011

Aladdin's Lamp- Tone and Form



This sketch was influenced from the book I am currently reading ‘Complete guide to drawing and Painting’-Readers Digest 2008. There are various chapters in there guiding you on how to develop your drawing skills and I worked through an exercise in there on tone and form with shading. It was a valuable experience. I am happy with the tone and form achieved but my actual drawing skills are still basic. I need to move away from the strong outlines as my images still look quite false. Once I achieve a lighter outline I should be able to develop my images to look more realistic. The item of course is actually a ceramic gravy jug and not Aladdin’s lamp! Looking at the image, the base of the lamp in the background is perhaps stronger and a better image than the jug!

RE-WORKED:

Ok, so after the above reflection on the gravy jug drawing, I decided to go back and re-work the drawing to see if I could achieve something more realistic by adding more depth and shadow. I feel it definitely worked and has made a big improvement on the image. I also have a good before and after image of the drawing so you can clearly see the improvements made. It adds so much more shape to the image and is a much closer match to the lamp base in the background. I am very pleased with the progress made.


No comments:

Post a Comment